After finding some hints/cheats for Dungeon Hack online, and reinstalling
it on my PC, I thought I would try other keys and see what happens. In
doing so, I discovered the following new cheat/features:
- F2 Displays the (design) codes for the level
and changes the 1st key for the floor
- F3 Changes the 1st key for the wall
- F4 Changes the 2nd key for the floor
- F5 Changes the 2nd key for the wall
- F6 Changes all 4 settings, using the
- F7 Moves player one level down!
- F8 Moves player one level up!
- F9 Displays various game info, but leaves
- F10 Fills in an outline of the map for the
To enable these cheats, and the other, more common ones, make a backup copy
of aesop.exe and at the DOS prompt type:
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
- A high constitution (19+), does not appear to offer regeneration of hit
points, as would be suggested by the AD&D rules. (Correction: the
constitution has to be 20+ for regeneration)
- A ring of regeneration is better than the ioun stone, as it provides
healing when the player rests.
- The best weapon is a wand of striking, +3, and a pair of them, one in each
hand, is even better.
- Set items on the floor to help remember where a niche with equipment or a
healing "altar" is located on the map.
- If you use the Armageddon cheat, wait until you encounter a monster before
using it, and use it again before going down a level, to maximize points,
since the game will create new monsters.
- If you haven't figured it out, the ioun stones are always the same, from
game to game, while the wands and potions change from game to game. A red
potion will not necessarily be a potion of healing for both player A and B.
- Rangers do not get spell-casting ability
- I have noticed that while a player can gain experience past their maximum
class level, it is not displayed. For example, I finished a game playing
Targon Hawk, human ranger. After he reached 20th level in experience,
additional xp were not added on the player info screen, although when he won,
he was shown as having over 5,000,000 xp, rather than the 3,600,000 the player
info screen displayed.